Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Experiences in Taiwan

Waterway at TNNUA

TNNUA in the rain

Huge snails on ceramics face at Grad Studio

Main courtyard at TNNUA
Sunset at TNNUA
Cleaning out the wood kiln


Meal at hot plate restaurant


Giant gas kiln at Hsu Yunghsu's studio

Anping Old Fort

Anping Tree House


Temple silhouette at the Misty Mountains

View from the 89th floor of Taipei 101














Leading up to this Taiwan trip I felt strange knowing that I would be leaving my home for three weeks to go to this unfamiliar place. I had mixed emotions about the trip all together but i knew it was something I had to do. I needed to break up the daily routine I had fallen into and introduce something new that would change me and my life.
    When we arrived in Taiwan it was strange. I had no idea what time it was or where I was, but it was exciting. Upon arriving at TNNUA I was just amazed at how green and humid everything was. I learned very quick that it was very hot and very sticky all the time.
    Waking up every morning and walking to the ceramics studio always felt like and adventure. I saw something new or interesting, and met new and amazingly kind people every day. Working in the graduate studio was always different every day as  we would have a lecture and I would want to try a technique I had seen from that or I would see something on my walk to the studio that would spark another idea.
When we started the wood kiln I was just amazed at the whole process. It was very labor intensive and required a lot of work to achieve the desired effects but it was so much fun doing it.
    The food in Taiwan at first seemed very intimidating. But by the third day or so I had just learned to just eat and not ask questions. All the places the group went to eat at were amazing and they all seemed better than the last. I had amazing chicken at the night market and stinky tofu ( I will not be eating it again), the coolest meal at a hot plate restaurant, and world famous dumplings at Taipei 101.
    I feel like I could go on forever about my trip and how amazing everyone I met in Taiwan was. This was an experience I will carry with me forever. It has changed me as a person and I will always remember the experiences I have gained in Taiwan.
    To everyone that was on the trip and everyone that i met in Taiwan thank you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment