Sunday, June 24, 2012

When in Taiwan....

  
I was in search for a study abroad program when I came across the flyer, "All SNC students welcome Fine Arts department trip to Taiwan" I picked it up and said, "I'm going." I knew nothing, but it felt right, I had very little, almost no expectations for this trip, I simply just did not know what to think, but anything I did think was blown away. This trip changed a little part of me for the better and I will forever cherish the memories I made. I left my worries in Taiwan and took a lifestyle back with me...I can, I will, and I do, live in the present moment. 
This is why I named my post When in Taiwan, I found myself constantly using this phrase, like a mantra. When fears or worries arise, remember where you are and let them go.
Personally and honestly, it is very difficult for me to put this experience into words.
Although I was about 7,800 miles away from my real home (Connecticut), induced in a new culture and language, I felt oddly in place and at home in Taiwan.  
Everyone I met was incredibly nice and kind-hearted.
Everything I ate was absolutely delicious.
Everything I saw was breathtaking.
Everything I smelt was new to my senses (some lovely, some stinky)
Everything I heard was so alive!
My worries and insecurities of not being an art major instantly slipped away with the warm open arms of TNNUA, the students and the teachers we met and learned from filled my experience with excitement, interest, and confidence. 
I learned a lot about my own self and journey as well as humanities. I started to sift through life and find out what matters to me most, what does not, what i like, what i dislike, and open my senses to new options. 

I was tempted, but I did not view the trip behind my camera lens, although it was my outlet for inspiration, creativity, and peace. 
[2,260 digital pictures taken and countless mental pictures]
Here are some of my favorites.


Landed in Taipei, heading south to TNNUA

The beautiful campus






Wild Orchids & Lily Pads
The Reservoir                                                   
Ceramics                                                                                          Wood Kiln




 Hsu Yunghsu               Po-Ching Fang                 Shin-Yu Wang            Ching-Yuan Chang




Rick & Sheri's Demo
    

KimKim, Alice, and Big White...these girls changed my life, we will be friends forever, the first time I met them I immediately felt a connection, they were my long lost sisters. 

Food






Miga & 
The man at the store down the road



Scooters
                                   Taipei 101                                                                MRT

Tamsui



I want to finally give a huge thanks to everyone at TNNUA, Rick, Sheri, and my fellow SNC travelers for making this one of the best experiences I have had in my life, I will never ever forget it. 
This trip has allowed me to connect some of the missing dots in life and brainstorm where I will go and what I will be doing in the future. One thing I know for certain is I will be back in Taiwan with plans to explore more of Asia, and I do not plan on stopping until I've traveled the world.


Here is an awesome video I found online about Taipei...Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I love your post Maddie!!! Your photography is fantastic, of course, and the video is great too. Thanks for the memories! - Sally

    ReplyDelete